Thursday, January 15, 2015

A Day at Selfridge's

One of the first things that I wanted to do in London was go to Oxford Street and visit Selfridge's. I am a fan of the show Mr. Selfridge, so seeing the department store was high on my list. Belle and I met Olivia and Emma for a girl's day of shopping and eating. 



Walking into the store, I felt like I was walking back in time to the time when Mr. Selfridge owned the store. The counters and display were exactly like they appear on the television show. Harry Gordon Selfridge, an American entrepreneur, opened the store March 15, 1909. While traveling in London, he noticed that London was missing stores that could rival the great department stores of Paris and the United States. His store was revolutionary in the fact that it allowed the goods to be accessible to customers, and thought the shopping experience should be focused more on pleasure than necessity. It is said that he taught England how to shop. 



We ended our shopping day by enjoying tea and scones. 






Belle and I had a wonderful day at Selfridge's.

No comments:

Post a Comment