Friday, January 16, 2015

A Day of History at the British Museum

While Cyle was still at away with work obligations, Belle and I spent the day at the British Museum.

I had never been there before and really enjoyed see all the exhibits.  It was a perfect day for a history teacher, although I quickly discovered Belle does not share my love of history.

I was most looking forward to seeing the Rosetta Stone.  The Rosetta Stone unlocked the mystery of hieroglyphics.

  
The upper text is Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, the middle portion Demotic script, and the lowest Ancient Greek.  Because it presents essentially the same text in all three scripts, it provided the key to the modern understanding of Egyptian hieroglyphs.



Pictures of artifacts and exhibits from around the world:










 

The Elgin Marbles (also known as the Parthenon Marbles): a collection of Greek sculptures and freezes that once adorned the Parthenon.





















Since we were in England, Belle and I decided to end our day with tea and scones.



No comments:

Post a Comment