Sunday, April 26, 2015

My Swedish Birthday


















Grattis Födelsedagen

For my birthday, I wanted to celebrate with friends and incorporate as many Swedish traditions as possible. To celebrate my 33rd birthday, I ended up having three celebrations. My first celebration was Friday evening at Ewa and Bartek's (who are from Poland) apartment. They had invited us over for a night of sampling Polish vodka. 


Cyle had brought a princess cake to celebrate my birthday (although this cake is technically an Opera cake as it is pink instead of green). 


A princess cake (prinsesstårta) is a traditional Swedish cake consisting of spongy layers of cake alternating with jam, vanilla custard and whipped cream. It is then covered with marzipan and dusted with powder sugar. 


The history of the cake dates back to the 1930s, when Jenny Åkerström published a cookbook, Prinsessornas Kokbok: Husmanskost och Helgdagsmat (Princesses Cookbook: Home Cooking and Holiday Food) that contained a recipe for a cake called grön tårta (green cake). Åkerström, who was also a tutor for the Swedish princesses, would often make the green cake for them as it was their favorite. Because of the princesses' love for the cake, the cake became known as the princess cake. 



Belle and her favorite friend, Natalie
I think Belle has a crush on Ewa and Bartek's son, Adam <3


Saturday evening, we met friends for dinner at Mondo's Tapas Bar and a night on the city. 



That evening happened to be culture night in Stockholm. To celebrate the city's history and diversity, all the museums, libraries, cinemas, clubs and attractions were all open until midnight and were free to visit. We chose to visit City Hall, which is where the Nobel dinner is held every year. 






Sunday, which was the day of my birthday, was spent together as a family. The morning began with Cyle and Belle cooking a delicious breakfast of French toast and fresh strawberries. At breakfast, Belle gave me the present she and daddy had picked for me. They got me a book and movie about the Vasa ship, which was a perfect gift for me. 


That afternoon, wanting to enjoy the sunny and warm day, we enjoyed a picnic lunch by the water before taking a boat tour of Stockholm. 







I couldn't have asked for a better (Swedish) birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment